Sunday, August 2, 2009

What would you do?

I am a little late in responding to this, but I wanted to comment on Ronnie's question that he posed last week.

Q: If you could be born again, with what you know today, would you choose not to have Cystic Fibrosis?

A: No, (Bump) I think that CF is a "curse of a blessing."



This video shows CF from many different perspectives ... that of a healthy young woman, a man with a family and a career, a 20-something that is pre-transplant, another that is post-transplant and a family that has lost a son. While I support the CF Foundation 100%, I think this video really brings to the front that CF is no longer just a childhood illness.

But the question remains - is CF a curse? A blessing? A little bit of both? I believe that CF is a double edged sword. Yes, being sick, being in the hospital is not a fun part of my life. However, it's my life and I'm used to it. On the flip side of that coin, I have made some of my best friends and have some of my best memories with friends that have CF. Things that I never would have experienced had I not been "cursed" with this "blessing."

Sadly, Siobhan Ryan passed away from CF on June 24, 2008. Although she was listed for transplant, she did not receive one in time.