Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Perhaps the best Yuletide decoration is being wreathed in smiles...

The Christmas spirit finally found me on December 24th - as it does every year!

I really do love Christmas -- the good food, the time with my family and the tacky decorations. But I detest Christmas shopping. My ability to procrastinate is legendary and this year was no different than many Christmas' past. Of the 20 something gifts I bought and wrapped, all but three were purchased the day before Christmas. I was still wrapping gifts on the Sunday after Christmas!

My Christmas officially started mid-December with a visit from my mom. I only opened one of my presents while she was here, wanting to save the rest until Christmas Day. But I picked a good one - a $100 gift card to Pottery Barn! I surprised Mom with two tickets to see Wicked in Richmond, VA the weekend after her birthday.

On Christmas Eve, I spent time with Dad, Mitra and her family. We had a blast decorating a gingerbread house, drinking wine, eating dinner, and opening presents.

From Christmas 09
From Christmas 09

I spent Christmas Day with Dee, Papa, Cheryl and Alex. It was a quiet day, replete with good food and family fun (our version of family fun involves me doing shots of tequila with my grandfather). The family that drinks together, stays together. Or something like that. We opened a few more gifts and although it's hard to choose a favorite, I think it might be these:


Christmas festivities ran through Sunday, when my aunt and two cousins arrived from Virginia. We had our *official* Christmas dinner on Sunday night. And opened MORE presents. My grandfather racked up this year - a new GPS for his car and a new net book.

Although I love all of the gifts that I received, the most thoughtful Christmas present came from my cousin, Amy - artist extraordinaire. She took an old snapshot of Issy and hand drew me a portrait of him. She definitely knows the way to my heart is through my cats.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!