I was hospitalized from February 11, 2009 through March 13, 2009, to be treated for a Cystic Fibrosis exacerbation. During this time, I had major sinus surgery which kept me under lock and key the entire time.
Welcome to "Club Med":
I was trying to come up with some intelligent reason for writing this post, but I couldn't. I am bored, and looking for ways to pass the time. I decided to figure out how much work I missed last year and also how many day I spent in the hospital. Then I decided to compare the costs of each visit.
Below is a partial list of the medicines and treatments I receive when I am in "Club
- Private Room (per day) - $1210.00
- Oxygen Use (per day) - $320.00
- Ultrase MT20 (100 capsules) - $484.40
- Meropenem Injection (2 Gm Vial) - $247.50
- Vancomycin Injection (1000 grams) - $17.44
- Ceftazidime Injection (2 gram Vial) - $73.22 / per dose
- Pulmozyme - $221.22 per dose
- Albuterol - $14.45 per dose
- Colistimethate Injection (75 mg) - $72.27 / per dose
- Budesonide (Pulmicort)
- Neb Bronchdil TX SubSeq - $95.00 / per nebulizer
- At UAB, this means your Respiratory Therapist sticks his head in your room, and leaves your evening aerosol / nebulized meds.
- Chest PT CF Pateient Subsequent - $144.00 / per session (usually TID)
- Zolpidem Tablet (Ambien) / $8.72 each
- Tramadol Tablet 50 mg / $7.26 each
- Benzonatate Perles (100 mg) / $30.00 each
- Aquadeks Soft Gel Tabs (Vitamins) - $15.44 / per dose
- Nexium (2x/day) - $14.36 /per pill
- Montelukast Tab 10MG (Singulair) - $25.38 / per pill
- Ferrous SO4 Tab 300 MG (Iron) - $14.11 / per pill
- Guaifenesin LA Tablet 600 mg - $8.75 / per pill
- Azithromycin Tablet 250mg (x2) = $36.40
- Acetaminophen Tablet 325 mg - $0.08 / per pill Yes, folks, that is OTC Tylenol
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Total # of Days Admitted: 30 Days
Total Amount Billed: $314,611.38
Average Cost per Day: $10,487.05
My out of pocket expense is $250 for each visit, but I work hard to keep my benefits with BBVA Compass and our heath insurance provider, Blue Cross / Blue Shield.