Monday, January 5, 2009

Exercise Journal

I didn't so much make a "resolution" this year, as a reminder to myself that in order to get healthier I need to BE healthier. With that in mind (and with the threat of pulmonary rehab from my Dr. the last time I was in the hospital), I invested in a treadmill. My goal is to work out 3x per week. Obviously, being in the hospital I won't necessarily be able to *literally* work out / walk three times per week, but that just means that I might have to do some extra sessions.

Basically, that breaks down to 156 work outs over the next year. It's a given that my level of working out has seriously declined and is no where NEAR what my co-worker (who runs 5 - 7 miles at lunch just for the fun of it) might be, but you've got to start somewhere, right?

Plus, I'm thinking that if I blog about it, it might keep me more honest. =)

With all that in mind, I broke in the new treadmill tonight. I walked for 30 minutes, 2.0 - 3.0 mph (don't laugh!), with 2L of O2. HR averaged 140 - 155, which is higher than it should be (I think). My SATs (oxygen saturations) stayed between 89 - 93 while I walked, which is a little low. Might crank up the O2 tomorrow night to 3L and see what happens. I'd really like for my SATs to be between 94 - 96 while I am working out, so my HR doesn't get quite so high.

I tried to eat reasonably healthy today which involved a pack of grits for breakfast, a Lean Cuisine lasagna for lunch (meatless), and some cous cous salad for dinner. I also had a spoonful of peanut butter, just to get some protein, since I didn't eat any meat today. My only downfall is that I drank Milo's tea for dinner ... trying to finish off the last of the gallon I bought. It's the "real thing" (not the Splenda version), which is definitely bad! Can you tell this is a work in progress?

My other updates won't be nearly as long-winded, I promise. My goal is to work my way up to running again, at least a bit.

~ Laters ~

0 comments: