Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Of Ports & Blood Cultures

Update, 01/28/10:

I have cellulitis - in layman's terms that is an infection or inflammation around my port.

No definite idea on why this happened - it could be attributed to any number of reasons. One theory is that because my immune system is down due to the prednisone, it may be a contributing factor.

So, for now, we are just going to wait and see. Hopefully the infection clears up on its own (I'm on so many antibiotics that it should). Since I am so close to being done with this round of antibiotics, I elected not to re-access but did change the dressings and clean the site.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Doing blood cultures on my port.

It's been bothering me since last Friday but I thought it was because the nurse had to manipulate it so much (it also took her 3 sticks to get it reaccessed). There is some bruising, but my whole side is tender to the touch & the dressing had a lovely yellow tinge to it. Have been blaming the soreness / tenderness on Prednisone withdrawal (been dealing with that too), but that's better & my port is still hurting.

GREAT.