Thursday, April 28, 2011

Thankful Thursday

I've never participated in one of Ronnie's (of RunSickBoyRun fame) Thankful Thursday postings before. I probably don't say it often enough, but I am thankful for all of the wonderful things that I have in my life (my friends, my family, my co-workers, and my health among others), but today seems like a most appropriate day to truly be thankful.

Yesterday was -- weather-wise -- one of the most tragic days that we've seen in the great state of Alabama. The death toll is currently 162 and it will be several more days before the final counts are complete. Why? Tornado season, which typically runs from March to May for the Heart of Dixie. We experienced an EF4, possibly an EF5, tornado that was ON THE GROUND from Tuscaloosa, AL to Birmingham, AL (about 60 miles) that was at times more than a mile wide. Below is a video of the devastation that can be seen in Central Alabama from ABC 33/40 (home of James Spann, the world's greatest meteorologist).

Please take about five minutes out of your day to watch this video and remember all of the families and businesses that have been devastated by the power of Mother Earth.



Fortunately, my little corner of the world escaped damage.  I live downtown and the storm tracked about five miles north of me.  My condo is on Red Mountain, directly below the TV stations, so the view from the cameras atop the station were essentially exactly what I was seeing from my front window.  What appeared to be a wall of clouds a mile wide was actually a tornado devastating my hometown.

 This picture is from the UAB campus, which is about six blocks north of me. What looks like a wall of clouds is actually the tornado that struck north Birmingham.

 I'm not sure of the exact location of this picture in relation to my house (it appears to be a little west of my condo looking back downtown).  The white office building in the center of the photo is where I work.

 This is a view of the tornado from BBVA Compass' corporate headquarters (my employer). This is a block south of my office (the building in the left corner of the photo is actually my office).

5 comments:

Stacey said...

So, so glad you're safe and your property was undamaged. I hoping the same for your friends and family...

Unknown said...

Wow, so glad that you were held in safety and my prayers go out to everyone who wasn't as fortunate.

Ronnie

Josh said...

Echo the comments above. Peaceful thoughts and lots of love to those who need it right now.

Amy said...

Eerily similar to the videos of Japan's destruction. Though we won't get the news coverage that they did. Glad you are safe and checked in! I can't even keep track of who all I know in the tornado alley states so I am glad to see so many checking in and letting us all know they are still safe and sound <3

Kelly said...

SO glad you're OK! Take care of yourself, sweets!