Thursday, July 14, 2011

Clinic Update

Today was my one-month post hospital clinic appointment and I'm happy to report that, overall, it was a fairly good visit.  My FEV1 has finally shown some improvement after being in the tank last time I was in the hospital and is near baseline.  I'm still hanging out around 44% lung capacity, which I'm happy with. Given that a few years ago I was struggling to keep it in the 30's (when I was battling back-to-back pneumonia infections -- SIX times in one year), I am always thrilled to see a higher #.

So the plan for now is to keep on keeping on.  My stomach issues are still rampant, but my GI doctors have been less than forthcoming in ways to fix or improve it and I'm just in for the long haul.  I have been on the Domperidone for over a month now and while I will say that while I see some improvement over the Reglan (which was doing absolutely nothing to treat my gastroparesis), it is still an everyday problem. In addition to the stomach issues, my doctors are having me checked for possible gallstones, so I have an abdominal ultrasound scheduled for Monday. I have been having sharp, stabbing pains in the area of my gall bladder every time I eat, particularly if I eat anything high-fat (which I typically try to avoid).

I talked with my NP today about scheduling a tune-up in August because I want to be in tip-top shape for September when I go on a cruise.  Two of my BFFs, Angela & Brien are getting hitched and are doing a wedding cruise out of Mobile.  It's actually the same cruise I went on last year (to Progreso and Cozumel), but ANY cruise is a good cruise in my books.  I am definitely looking forward to some true vacation time (even though I qualify for four weeks of vacation with my employer, I typically only get one week and forfeit the rest when I am in the hospital).

And that's about all the updates I have for now. That, and the fact that my legs are numb from allowing my sixteen pound beast to sit in my lap while I've been typing this blog (love ya, Beau-ba-lo!).

Catch y'all on the flip side!

0 comments: