Saturday, January 10, 2009

GI Appointment

Well, I had my GI consult this week. Let's just say it did not go as I had hoped. Overall, I was not impressed with the plan of care that he offered. He said that the dose of Nexium and Reglan I'm on is OK, even if it's not working 100%. I told the nurse (prior to seeing him) that meat and breads are the things that tend to aggravate the problems most, so he told me "don't eat meat & bread." Well, hell, if I could live off veggies for the rest of my life, I might. But I enjoy a big, juicy steak every now and then.

He also added another medicine (Actigall) because "all CF patients EVENTUALLY have liver / gall bladder problems," so his theory is that I should just start taking another med, which is probably (at this point, at least) unneeded and unnecessary. They have never done any tests on my gall bladder or liver and I have never had any blood work come back abnormal. Geez. What an idiot. He was really nice and cracked corny jokes, which I found somewhat amusing, but I was so frustrated by the time I left (and more so now, especially the more that I think about it) that I don't think it was worth it.

Talked with my nurse to find out what she thinks. She asked me to at least try this new medicine until I come to clinic on the 22nd, where we can discuss it further. She did remind me that it may be that this med will work in conjunction with the other meds that I am already taking. I haven't started the medication yet, but will on Monday. That will give me a little more than ten days to decide if I like it and if I think it is worth continuing. Fortunately, this was only a $10 prescription, but I just dread the thought of having to take ANOTHER pill. At last count, I was up to about 25 a day (I think).

0 comments: