Monday, August 31, 2009

Exercise Journal

A while back (when we were in the rush of the New Year and resolutions and all that other fun stuff) I said that I wanted to make a consistent effort to exercise this year. I started off well and then had sinus surgery. I fell off the bandwagon, got run over by the bandwagon, and somehow never managed to get back on the bandwagon.

Until now. After reading ACaseyofCF's recent post about being "Back at it!!! (FOR REAL THIS TIME)", I decided I needed to jump (feet first) back into my exercise program.

I'll admit that I'm starting slow but I am hoping to keep myself accountable by posting my lovely (or not-so-lovely) stats as I go. My thought is that as I see an improvement in the numbers below that I'll stay motivated.

In my world, staying motivated = staying healthy = staying out of Club Med.

Since I woke up at 5 AM this morning, I decided to get a start on my program, which I picked up from RunSickBoyRun. It's modified slightly, to what I can do right now, but I hope to follow this routine (mostly).

Start: 94% (O2 - no supplemental oxygen) / 118 HR
Walk 5 min: 93% (4L supplemental O2) / 122 HR

Run 1: 90%-91% (4L supplemental O2) / 145 HR
Walk 2 minutes

Run 2: 89%-90% (4L supplemental O2) / 148 HR
Walk 2 minutes

Run 3: 90% (4L supplemental O2) / 137 HR
#3 was more of a fast walk vs. a run.
Walk 2 minutes

Run 4: 88%-89% (4L supplemental O2) / 147 HR
Walk 2 minutes

Run 5: 89% (4L supplemental O2) / 155 HR
Walk 5 minutes

End: 93% / 138 HR

Total Time: 25 minutes

My thoughts:

My heart rate was a little high when I started but this was probably due to the fact that I had just finished up a Ventolin (Albuterol) neb.

My heart rate throughout was about what I expected. Actually, I don't think it would be bad for it to get a little higher, but I am worried about my O2 saturation dropping lower than it already is, considering I'm already using a fairly high LPM flow (4) on my O2. I think the maximum on my portable concentrator is 5 or 6 LPM.

Comments? Tips? Tricks? Any and all advice is welcome.